Cheaper Battery for Pirate Box

Posted by reddog9287 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Cheaper Battery for Pirate Box
February 11, 2011 11:20AM
I found a few alternative batteries which are a bit cheaper and they look like they will work (thanks daviddarts at gmail). As long as they are 12VDC and 1.5A output then they should be able to power the router. Another note is the mAh (milliamperage hours). This is basically going to tell you the length of time that the battery will be able to power the device if you calculate it (obviously different for different applications), so the higher the mAh the better. I will calculate it if you guys want but I'm too lazy right now

Here are the two that I found:
[www.cu1.com]
[www.dpcav.com]

I'm sure we might also be able to find other things cheaper for this build!
Poor man's Pirate Box
Re: Cheaper Battery for Pirate Box
February 11, 2011 04:21PM
A good place to get 12V batteries is from a computer UPS thats not being used anymore.
February 12, 2011 01:48AM
Couldn't you simply go into a hobby shop and make your own battery pack? the cells are 1.2 volts each, so 10 cells is exactly 12 volts. And they come in a range of mAh, so the battery pack could start cheap if necessary, then go to a more expensive (and better) pack when convenient? Or is there any reason that would not work?
February 12, 2011 02:51AM
If you don't mind the weight, a scooter, motorbike or home alarm system battery would work well. Usually around 4-8A/hr. Not sure how well they would cope with constantly being run down to 0volts. You will probably still pay $50-100. Starts to make the energizer kit worth it.
February 12, 2011 04:14AM
You could make your own battery pack and get a motorbike one, etc. I personally don't have an old UPS that I could scrap. I picked the ones that I originally posted because it was easy and a bit cheaper than the $79.99 (on Amazon) Energizer battery. Maybe there are other parts that you could find cheaper who knows? Hence : Poor man's Pirate Box
February 12, 2011 08:41AM
$79 for energizer xp8000 on amazon eh? They retail for $220 ish AU here, and our dollar is parity, criminals! I also had a think and realized that its unlikely that your battery would fully discharge, the Hardware would likely stop operating when the voltage dipped a certain amount.
February 13, 2011 03:14AM
Exactly, you wouldn't want to let the battery get too low anyway the router etc. couldn't keep up below whatever level of voltage. The 79$ is much of a discount because retail here is $120. (Looks like someone bought the one for 79, now it's 92$!)
February 13, 2011 10:57AM
I want one of these with the right output (and rechargeable batteries): Battery holder.