Pbox Serving mp4

Posted by cogdog 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Pbox Serving mp4
March 02, 2012 03:57AM
I still have a problem where iOs devices accessing my pirate box cannot load mp4 video- I get a player button with a slash through it or via the JW Player a message that the "the video cannot be loaded because the server or network failed"

With the same devices I can view the file perfectly when I load it on my web server. Are there mime type settings not at work here?
Re: Pbox Serving mp4
March 02, 2012 07:45AM
Nope, the piratebox works fine. It's the player that's broken.
March 09, 2012 04:34PM
I have the same problem I think it's because IOS devices don't have flash player.
March 14, 2012 02:44PM
Try using more iOS friendly formats! Like anything you'd upload to an iPhone or iPod.
March 14, 2012 03:04PM
You can't upload anything with an IOS device...
March 14, 2012 03:18PM
No, but that's not what I meant either. Try uploading anything that the iPhone would be able to play natively (in the iPhone video app/iTunes) to the Piratebox from your computer. Then try to view that particular file on iPhone.
March 14, 2012 03:19PM
March 14, 2012 06:19PM
I'm playing with a PirateBox on the MR3020, and it doesn't serve any files to iOS devices. Because of the http redirection, iOS assumes that it's a captive portal a la hotel paywall, and presents only the Log In page...but doesn't grab an IP. Which means that Safari never technically launches the PirateBox page, and never has a chance to hand-off a filetype to another app (which it should be able to do for any recognized file: MP4, MP3, ePub, etc).

Fixing this for iOS is a big deal...anyone have ideas?
March 14, 2012 09:40PM
Fixing this for iOS isn't a big deal. It's not our problem that iOS devices don't play well with the piratebox, and it's nothing that we can fix.
March 14, 2012 09:43PM
Welcome to the Apple world
March 14, 2012 09:46PM

I'm playing with a PirateBox on the MR3020, and it doesn't serve any files to iOS devices. Because of the http redirection, iOS assumes that it's a captive portal a la hotel paywall, and presents only the Log In page...but doesn't grab an IP. Which means that Safari never technically launches the PirateBox page, and never has a chance to hand-off a filetype to another app (which it should be able to do for any recognized file: MP4, MP3, ePub, etc).

Fixing this for iOS is a big deal...anyone have ideas?

Ah, so then it's a simple problem with the redirect, right? Have you tried manually putting in the assigned IP?
March 15, 2012 03:04AM
creighto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fixing this for iOS isn't a big deal. It's not
> our problem that iOS devices don't play well with
> the piratebox, and it's nothing that we can fix.

Not having arguably the single largest browser platform in the mobile space, when said space is going to be the primary method that the public access the web, is a big deal. I understand that iOS is an outlier here (and that the way that it deals with captive portals is unique). But if a slight different redirect method fixes it for everyone...well, seems like it's worth looking at.

In any case, if this community isn't interested in fixing it for iOS, I'll poke around the code and see what can be done.
March 15, 2012 12:41PM

Not having arguably the single largest browser platform in the mobile space, when said space is going to be the primary method that the public access the web, is a big deal. I understand that iOS is an outlier here (and that the way that it deals with captive portals is unique). But if a slight different redirect method fixes it for everyone...well, seems like it's worth looking at.

In any case, if this community isn't interested in fixing it for iOS, I'll poke around the code and see what can be done.

Yes, I agree, it is a big deal if the PirateBox isn't compatible with iOS. Do you know if there's any way to setup a fake captive portal that either redirects you via a button, or simply just show a greeting and instructions saying that the user needs to put in, for example, 192.168.0.1 in the adress bar?
March 15, 2012 06:47PM
Yeah, that's a possibility. I'm doing other customizations now, will tackle the iOS issue soon. I'll report back if I have any luck.
March 20, 2012 11:58PM
I found a work around for the IOS 'paywall' issue - see [forum.daviddarts.com]

Still can't upload - its greyed out, but I can play an mp4 video (after downloading it first to Goodreader)
April 03, 2012 06:47PM
That fix to turn off the auto login on iOS helps with the issue of connecting via Safari. it makes it less cumbersome than getting pooched in the network connection.

My video issue remains. It is not a player/format issue; to recap-

* video.mp4 loads fine on my iPhone when accessed from my public web server
* he same video.mp4 does not load when accessed from PirateBox.
April 03, 2012 07:03PM
Mine works on a Jailbroken IPhone 4 if I use iFile smiling smiley also look into apps like Downloads here I see no reason that shouldn't work. If I have time I will try this out and see if it works.