Switching the main PB device

Posted by damavox 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Switching the main PB device
April 12, 2016 07:29AM
With recent bans on OpenWRT being placed on routers in the US, I know other countries will follow suit and some already have.

Since there is very little we can do about it in order to prepare for the future I vote we switch the main device from MR3020 & MR3040 to the raspberry pi.

It's cheaper or the same price and has a lot more resources to build with. Although I love the idea behind taking a router and turning it into this great device (it is actually what got me into learning code and development), I would hate to see precious development hours wasted on a device that may be obsolete in the near future. Plus having a full distro (and better resources) at our fingertips could inspire new advancements in the PB development.

I know there are a few workarounds to still get OpenWRT on blocked devices but I fear that using these hacks openly and supporting the use of them in the forum will cause the PB to get a bad name.

What is everyone else's opinion on this?
Re: Switching the main PB device
April 14, 2016 07:48PM
You are bringing up some interesting points. I need to think about that.. especially when I think about the "C.H.I.P" computer and other things like that.

Interesting... confused smiley
Re: Switching the main PB device
April 16, 2016 09:03AM
I love the idea behind the C.H.I.P, I have not researched a lot into it but my understanding is, it is a $9 sbc, with 1 usb port and built-in bluetooth, 1ghz cpu and 512mb ram. The only troubling factor that sticks out in my mind without me doing more research into it, is the manufacturer's stability (it is still a really new start-up), and their ability to meet demand.

Compared to the Raspberry Pi foundation, They ( the Raspberry Pi foundation) are a solid company with huge community backing and even they have trouble keeping up with demand but one thing for sure is they are not going anywhere anytime soon.