Powering the 3020 from the Serial Console

Posted by pooleo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Powering the 3020 from the Serial Console
August 02, 2017 12:56AM
I've been reading the TL-MR3020 Openwrt page and noticed the pinout for the serial console. Can I power the router via the VCC and GND pins and bypass the mini usb? I have been looking for a compact way to run my piratebox using a small 1200 mAh lipo. Thanks!
Re: Powering the 3020 from the Serial Console
August 02, 2017 05:40PM
I do not know, but I doubt that you are getting enough power to bring the USB stick to life. :-(
August 03, 2017 10:58AM
I manage to pull it off. A small lipo battery will power the 3020 from the serial console. I did use an Adafruit power boost 500 to get from 3.7 to 5v. I don't think this is a viable alternate to the mini-usb port any longer. There are components on the board that begin to heat up badly the longer power is plugged in this way.
August 04, 2017 03:17PM
oops! The mini usb port on my piratebox has stopped working (it's my fault due to the juryrigged mini-usb plug....lol) Now, I have no choice but to power up from the serial console. I will keep you posted on whether this is safe to do long term.