Basic Help Needed- Install/enable ftp

Posted by cogdog 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Basic Help Needed- Install/enable ftp
April 03, 2012 06:53PM
I'm not much of a server-side dude. I have someone working with me on prototype for a mobile app that will play audio from my piratebox and allow recording an audio response back to the box.

I'm told the transfer would be easier if the app could use ftp - from what I've been able to deduce, I need to install something like pure-ftpd (?) Can someone give me a dummys guide for doing this?

My PirateBox is a StoryBox [cogdogblog.com]
Re: Basic Help Needed- Install/enable ftp
April 03, 2012 07:08PM
I don't have my PirateBox yet, but I have been building my configs on the eeePC for a while, what are you running PB on? It may come down to if your router has enough memory to run FTP.
April 03, 2012 07:10PM
May I suggest taking a look at this:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/pure-ftpd

I have not tried this so do so at your own risk, but I see no reason you couldn't use an FTP server to the PB file folder. If I get some time tonight I will try doing this on my eeePC and will post the results.
April 03, 2012 08:27PM
ftp is no big thing.
you can install it with opkg install pure-ftpd
If you don't have enough disc-space for installing it directly, you may use the piratebox-ext-firmware:

# opkg -d piratebox install pure-ftpd

But with this option, you need to do a lot more stuff to get it working (i.e. copy over from /usr/local/init.d to /etc/init.d )

Matthias

This is only my signature.
April 04, 2012 04:21PM
Thanks, it looks like we do not need it now, my developer has figured out how to move the files we need by ssh or scp.

My issue now is giving write access to the new user I created on the Pbox to a subdirectory within /mnt/share/piratebox
April 04, 2012 10:06PM
You have to use different mount options. AFAIK Currently only root write-access allowed.
Add these option to the mount options of your usb-drive
rw,user,umask=000

Maybe in /etc/piratebox.common
or
/etc/system/fstab

Matthias
Hello,

I was trying to install FTP, but I get error message on free space.
Is there any option to include FTP to ROM, or to USB drive? It would be great feature!
September 03, 2012 04:26AM
Hi,

don't miss the

-d piratebox

in your install command winking smiley

Matthias