Wanted: Old instructions with droopy and droopy_start

Posted by wil32 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Wanted: Old instructions with droopy and droopy_start
February 27, 2011 01:24AM
I cant get to work the new install image file

anyone got the links of the old tuts and files please??

Thanks

William

EDIT:

for those interested into solving my issue, here is what i did.

I follow that tutorial: http://wiki.daviddarts.com/Debian_on_the_Seagate_Dockstar

then went to the davidarts website to get the droopy, but the tut got changed.

I formated my debian, and followed this: http://wiki.daviddarts.com/PirateBox_DIY#DIY_Tutorial_2
this results a non booting dockstar. If i remove the usb flash drive, i can ssh into the rescued system installed previously

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2011 01:30AM by wil32.
Re: Wanted: Old instructions with droopy and droopy_start
February 27, 2011 01:55AM
Hey William,

I archived the original DIY Tutorial 2 here. I meant to include a link to the old DIY Tutorial 2 from the main PirateBox_DIY page but clearly forgot - sorry to leave you hanging.

I'm curious about your non-booting Dockstar. I posted a new image (0.3-1) on GitHub with instructions on the forum a few hours ago - is this the tutorial you ended up following? If not, I suggest giving it a try - it should "hopefully" only take a few minutes to have the Dockstar up and running following these steps...

David
February 27, 2011 02:18AM
Do i really need the share fat32 partition?

i did what u mentioned in ur post and it still doesnt work here. let me try the old way

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2011 02:38AM by wil32.
February 27, 2011 03:21AM
wil32 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do i really need the share fat32 partition?

The FAT32 partition is useful because it ignores permissions which allows you to plug the USB drive into any type of computer and easily manipulate the files in the shared partition. If this isn't important to you you could use ext2 or ext3 instead - you'll still want to name the partition "share" or otherwise it will mess up some of the file paths.

> i did what u mentioned in ur post and it still
> doesnt work here. let me try the old way

I'm surprised the new disk image didn't work for you - I've tested it quite extensively across a number of drives and Dockstars and haven't run into any issues yet. What OS are you running on your computer?

Also, were you originally able to get Debian running on the Dockstar?
February 27, 2011 03:48AM
> Also, were you originally able to get Debian
> running on the Dockstar?

Yes.

The old script now kinda work...

the droopy is borken, the url used is pirate.box.... instead of piratebox.

also the logo used in the droopy is piratebox-logo.png instead of piratebox-logo-small.png. im trying to figure out all errors.

I will give it a try with the fat32 (share) later on tho.

i tried again with the fat32 partition, still no luck, i must be either blind at some point or unlucky XD

im running debian(mediacenter), ubuntu(personnal computer)

i finally got it running, altho i get some errors again because of the pirate.box -> piratebox thingy

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2011 04:24AM by wil32.
February 27, 2011 04:35PM
Hi wil,
you may try these scripts writty by me. winking smiley
This package is all-around with all images an stuff you need running the piratebox. For running the web-services on the dockstar, you may do the following steps:

> change in conf/piratebox.conf :
    [*] USE_APN="no"
    [*] USE_DNSMASQ="no"
    [*] change IP-Adresse and Netmask to your ip-adress

Have a try and don't be shy to ask.
If you have trouble with these "piratebox_setup_wlan.sh"-script, let me know... then I'm going to create an option to disable this part of the init-script.

Matthias

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2011 04:43PM by Matthias.
Darts, can you point me why your droopy settings uses pirate.box url and that ur hostname is piratebox. Your install seems to work but when i visit the URL, i get a bunch of errors/invalid links, broken image
February 28, 2011 05:35PM
Will32, I think, that david hat a typing error with the missing point in the hostname.
Because of this, I centralized the hostname via a config-file-

Change everything to one hostname (pirate.box) and you should not recieve any errors.
February 28, 2011 08:24PM
Hey All,

I set the hostname as "piratebox" because the local hostname in the /etc/hostname file can't have a "." in it. If, for instance, you use the hostname "pirate.box" it automatically gets shortened to "pirate"

I've set up the html links to point to "pirate.box" as a workaround for Windows which seems to require a "." in order to do a DNS lookup. Without the "." in the address, the lookup fails. More info in this forum post.

Provided you're connecting your PirateBox plug computer to a DD-WRT router and using the DD-WRT HTTP redirect method, the pirate.box method seems to work across all browsers and operating systems.

However, as William points out, using a router without HTTP redirect causes the pirate.box links to break. This is something that ideally should be fixed...I'm definitely open to suggestions smiling smiley

For now William, the three Python servers should be available on your system at:

Language: PHP
http://piratebox #droopy upload server (minus the shoutbox)   http://piratebox:8001 #download server   http://piratebox:8002 #shoutbox

You can update/fix the links to get everything working properly by opening and removing the "." in pirate.box in the following four files:
/etc/init.d/piratebox_start

/bin/droopy

/mnt/share/piratebox/.READ.ME.htm

/mnt/share/piratebox/.GO.BACK.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2011 02:58PM by darts.
March 01, 2011 11:41PM
yeah the pirate.box really needs a good workaround
March 03, 2011 12:53PM
All i want is a upload thingy + a browse button, i wish all of this would be working but its not the case

Anyone got the old droopy and droopy_start laying around?
March 03, 2011 02:45PM
March 04, 2011 02:48PM
thanks smiling smiley