Installation Issue, network file borked?

Posted by hudson 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Installation Issue, network file borked?
October 18, 2012 04:13PM
So flash my MR3020. Updated the network conig file. When i proceeded to the next step i could not SSH nor Telnet into the router. After a bit i was able to throw it into failsafe and telnet to it. I did then entered the following commands:

mount_root

rm -rf /overlay/*

I then proceed back from the first steps of the installation, but when i went to edit the network file, it didn't exist. It basically wants to create a new file from scratch. Not a big deal i suppose, but i'm wonding if all i need to do is recreate that file (which i think i screwed up with a bad ip address the first time around). Or could there potentially be some other things borked? Would it be better to try to reflash? I was under the impression that the rm -rf /overlay/* command would reset me to baseline to begin the steps just after a successfull flash of ddwrt. Any advice would be appreciated.
Re: Installation Issue, network file borked?
October 18, 2012 05:36PM
Hi,
I'm not a fan of deleting the content of the overlay directory.
I'm always recommending that you reflash your device with the "mtd" command, like described for example here [github.com]

Matthias
October 18, 2012 05:49PM
Thanks for the reply...i will follow your advice when i get home and give it another shot.

Keith
October 21, 2012 03:01PM
So that worked like a champ. My box is up and running. I incoporated the new interface that this guy developed:

[ubuntuhak.blogspot.com]

One note, i was working from Wiki instructions and the only deviation i had to make was changing the link in the opkg.conf to

src/gz attitude_adjustment [stable.openwrt.piratebox.de]

I'm in the process of cleaning off a 250gb drive and i'll try formatting it and moving my usb stick files to it. Picture of my setup a bit later. Thank you, this was a fun little project. Donation sent!
October 21, 2012 03:53PM
Hi,
great!
Thank you very much!

Yes, I know about the problem with the opkg.conf file, but I'm not able to change the wiki.

Maybe I should simply exchange the custom image with an image pointing to [stable.openwrt.piratebox.de]
edit: I exchanged the custom image to the one pointing to the piratebox-repository

Kind regards
Matthias

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2012 03:57PM by Matthias.
October 21, 2012 05:44PM
Is the new image at the same link the wiki points to? If so i'll re-download it, if not, drop the link in here if you don't mind. Thanks again.

Keith
October 21, 2012 07:16PM
Hi,
I exchanged the image referred by the wiki, yes smiling smiley

Matthias