Piratebox not getting ip address from Asus router

Posted by Chronoslynx 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Piratebox not getting ip address from Asus router
April 07, 2011 08:20PM
I recently upgraded my piratebox setup to use the newest version (0.3-3 with shoutbox), but suddenly I'm unable to connect to it at all, from both the "piratebox" and "piratebox.local" names.

My router is still set up with the settings from the original piratebox (where network was configured manually, etc) and can't seem to find what I need to change, if anything, to be able to connect to this newest version.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Re: Piratebox not getting ip address from Asus router
April 08, 2011 04:54AM
Did you try to connect via wlan or with an lan port?
Try to give your machine a static ip adress. I think the "normal" package is using the 192.168.11.x range?!
April 10, 2011 02:46AM
I wonder if the IP address of your Dockstar has changed - try visiting the router's admin page (192.168.1.1) with a browser and double check that the IP address assigned by the router matches the redirect IP address you originally set - see these instructions on the wiki for more info.
April 10, 2011 05:03PM
@Matthis The next thing I'm going to try will be setting a static IP on the box, once I figure out where debian stores its network config files

@darts The other problem I'm having is that the piratebox wasn't showing up on my router's DHCP clients list, so I couldn't find out what its new IP address was
April 10, 2011 05:47PM
Debian Networkconfiguration: [wiki.debian.org]

I'm not familiar with this, too... smiling smiley
April 15, 2011 07:12PM
Yeah, I can't understand at all why its not getting an IP address from the router. This is just strange
April 16, 2011 02:35PM
What is the IP address of your router? The default nameserver address for the 0.3-3 image is 192.168.1.1. If your router uses something else, you can plug the USB drive into your computer and navigate to the /etc/resolv.conf file and change the address to match your router's IP.
April 16, 2011 06:36PM
The router's ip address is 192.168.1.1, same as in the Piratebox's resolv.conf file :/. Here are the files that I believe are relevant to this issue, whatever it may be

/etc/network/interfaces:
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp
hostname piratebox

/etc/resolv.conf:
nameserver 192.168.1.1
On the Asus router (same as in the original piratebox build) DHCP is on, DNSMasq is enabled and set to "address=/#/192.168.1.121", and http redirect is off (until I figure out why the piratebox isn't getting an ip address).

Thanks for the help so far!