Configuring Station Count

Posted by Pirate's Parrot 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Configuring Station Count
February 05, 2013 02:39AM
Last question for the day. Again, from the modification page:

Show connected clients

Included since 0.3.1 There is a script, which greps the needed informations from “iw”. It was designed to run on OpenWRT, but it might work on laptops, too. If you want to use this, run the following command:
/opt/piratebox/bin/install_piratebox.sh /opt/piratebox/conf/piratebox.conf station_cnt

The makes an entry to your crontab of the current user. It updates a station_cnt.txt file in /opt/piratebox/www every 2 minutes. On OpenWRT you have to ensure, that the cron daemon runs:
/etc/init.d/cron enable && /etc/init.d/cron start

For the second part of that, what does this line do?

Do you only have to run that once, or can it be added to a startup script somewhere, or what?

Thanks!
Re: Configuring Station Count
February 05, 2013 06:49AM
It enables the cron-service for normal startup and starts it.
You only have to run it once.
April 12, 2013 11:56AM
Should the station count work on the pi version? I've carried out the items above and confirmed that chron status is running, but there seems to be no piratebox related text in the chron file. I now have some text in station_cnt.txt but it says there are 0 connected clients when there is 1, despite continuing to refresh the txt file.
April 15, 2013 04:44AM
mmhh.
Should work, maybe you have to enable it different. I'll check it
I have installed station count, and it works great. If I would like to deinstall it, how could I do that? Thanks
April 26, 2013 05:52AM
edit /etc/crontab and remove the line with the station count.
Empy-out /opt/piratebox/www/station_cnt.txt

Matthias
December 29, 2014 09:58PM
please forgive the necro, but i'm trying to find out where the station count is displayed. i have it enabled currently on my mr3020 but i'm not sure where that information is listed at. can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks!
December 30, 2014 02:51PM
the station count is currently (version 1.0 -> 1.0.2) not directly available in the frontend.

After activating the file station_cnt.txt is updated, that contains the current number of connected clients.
you can reach that file under
Language: PHP
http://piratebox.lan/station_cnt.txt
or while being logged into the box: /opt/piratebox/www/station_cnt.txt