Harddrive problem w/ Piratebox on the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH

Posted by ltd 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
ltd
Harddrive problem w/ Piratebox on the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
June 23, 2011 10:09PM
So, I've been through the ringer a bit with my attempts at putting together a Piratebox. The first round of stumbling blocks had to do with the known issue regarding the newer versions of the Buffalo router not working with certain versions of OpenWRT (now noted in the tutorial). I finally managed to get that sorted...got sshed into my OpenWRT-powered router, got the Piratebox package, and -- quite excitedly -- ran the install command.

Well...all the required packages download and the install just fine -- but I get completely blocked at the "insert your USB thumb drive/hard drive" stage. It refuses to recognize my USB drive, and just ticks away (dot after dot) endlessly. I've tried everything (from removing/reinserting, to reformating -- FAT32 multiple times...one partition...even tried FAT16 -- to trying different thumb drives), and the light does always come on on the thumb drive (so it's receiving power). I even went so far as to flash my router back to DD-WRT to try the USB drive (I started to wonder if the hardware was busted...it wasn't -- the DD-WRT setup recognized the USB drive just fine).

So, my question is: has anyone else had problems with this on the new(er) versions of the WZR-HP-G300NH? Any suggestions or debugging tips? I've spent a couple frustrating nights trying to figure this out.

Many thanks!
Everything you have said above is exactly what has happened to me. I've been through the frustration and now am stuck at this exact point. Did you ever solve this issue? If so i'd greatly appreciate the help/advice, thanks smiling smiley
Re: Harddrive problem w/ Piratebox on the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
September 05, 2011 04:36AM
Hi,
try to open an issue on [github.com] the developers may help you better, because they've written the installer-script.

Sorry.

Matthias
Finally figured it out, had to reflash with a different Openwrt version.
ltd
September 08, 2011 07:12PM
Wow -- I never did solve the issue (ended up moving on to other projects). That's awesome that you were able to figure it out though!

What version of Openwrt did you use? Any tips/links would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
September 08, 2011 07:30PM
Honestly this issue set me back and i had no idea what to do to fix it. The only version I got to work on my router (after bricking it multiple times, always fun stuff) was the version posted by bcmalloy here >>> [forum.daviddarts.com]

I finally ended up finding a different version that would work, ironically it was a version bcmalloy posted on another forum. I believe it was the openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-sysupgrade. I honestly am not to sure how i got it to work, I had been working on this project since i got my router in the mail so granted i was a little sleep deprived. Once I get home I will be sure to check exactly what version I have. Oh wait I remember, I believe I flashed the router with a version from bcmalloy and then upgraded through the web interface with openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-sysupgrade. This is what finally made it possible to install piratebox but even then Im still not out of the water, i still have usb mount issues. Just gotta keep at it i guess.