Raspberry Pi 3 Success

Posted by TheVividYoshi 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Raspberry Pi 3 Success
March 10, 2016 12:16AM
Just wanted to report how the new Raspberry Pi 3 runs PirateBox.

The prebuilt image for Pi 2 doesn't work (the act LED blinks repeatedly, with a pattern of 8 blinks and a pause), so I tried the manual instructions on the latest Raspbian Jessie Minimal, and it worked fine. I was able to complete the entire guide with no problems. The PirateBox detected the new built-in WiFi chip, and hosted an access point. My only complaint is that it takes a long time for my devices to obtain an IP address, but that is probably just the devices themselves.
Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Success
March 10, 2016 12:46AM
As mentioned in IRC, I build a new image. It is already seeding - we will add that to the instructions in the next couple of days.
The build 1 image does not work because it is missing device tree and firmware needed for the RPi 3.
March 21, 2016 09:07AM
TheVividYoshi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just wanted to report how the new Raspberry Pi 3
> runs PirateBox.
>
> My only complaint is that it takes a long
> time for my devices to obtain an IP address, but
> that is probably just the devices themselves.

I'm having the same problem - it won't hand out an IP address at all.. I need to test more!
March 21, 2016 08:50PM
Hi Peter,

did you test it with the latest image?

best regards
Matthias
March 22, 2016 09:50AM
Hi Matthias,

Yes, I used 2016-03-18-raspbian-jessie-lite.img for the OS, and piratebox-ws_current.tar.gz for the Piratebox. I set up the Pi using raspi-config and enabled the device tree.

I think my next step should be to use the full desktop version of Raspbian Jessie and I will report back here.
March 24, 2016 10:05AM
I am just wondering, did you try the image provided by us?
March 24, 2016 11:27AM
No .. I had torrent problems, but I will try that option. Thank you!
March 27, 2016 12:11PM
Hi Peter,
I worked on the torrent issues, which now should work flawlessly now.

Let me know,
best regards
Matthias
May 23, 2016 03:16AM
Hi All,

Got my new Rasp Pi3 working no problems over the weekend so just playing with the setup in my junk room.

Would like to use this in my classroom(high school comp studies teacher) but the graphics and wording of the homepage are not suitable for use within my college environment. Would also like to give this to some of my students for an ECA project after we finish our little Pi3 cluster, but again to many negative vides on the opening home page to make this possible.

Any chance of redesign homepage with just a simple instruction of how to use the Priratebox and less on the counter culture aspects. It would not take much of a redesign to make it acceptable for college use.
May 24, 2016 11:43PM
Yes. The upcoming Piratebox 1.1 will have web interface customizing features. I hope you know HTML!

dragon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi All,
>
> Got my new Rasp Pi3 working no problems over the
> weekend so just playing with the setup in my junk
> room.
>
> Would like to use this in my classroom(high school
> comp studies teacher) but the graphics and wording
> of the homepage are not suitable for use within my
> college environment. Would also like to give this
> to some of my students for an ECA project after we
> finish our little Pi3 cluster, but again to many
> negative vides on the opening home page to make
> this possible.
>
> Any chance of redesign homepage with just a simple
> instruction of how to use the Priratebox and less
> on the counter culture aspects. It would not take
> much of a redesign to make it acceptable for
> college use.

PirateBox Installs:
2x Zsun's (both testing, one with serial interface)
A5-V11 (mostly for OpenWRT testing DIY)
2x RPi Zero's
(one active in car 24/7, gets a lot of hits at Walmart, movie theaters and the mall)
2x RPi3's (both home servers, one Ubuntu custom install along side a ton of other services)
1x RPi2 (currently work server)
May 26, 2016 04:47AM
I teach HTML to my students the old fashioned way, using notepad as the text editor. So I should be able to hack some of the homepage to what I need.

I look forward to PirateBox 1.1

I have just been running the Rasp Pi 3 with PB and it has been working perfectly for 24hrs using a 2500mAh battery pack and 175PDF Magazines loaded onto the memory stick.

It is great that you can load the USB from a standard MS PC and then plug it into the Rasp Pi for distribution.

Does the speed of the USB have any impact in the real world for download and upload speeds. The one I am using now is old and rummaged from the bottom of my junk draw. I need to pick up some more SD cards and can easily afford a new high speed 32GB stick.
May 29, 2016 07:56AM

Does the speed of the USB have any impact in the real world for download and upload speeds. The one I am using now is old and rummaged from the bottom of my junk draw. I need to pick up some more SD cards and can easily afford a new high speed 32GB stick.
Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: It depends on which kind of files you are shareing and if these can be buffered by the OS pretty well. I would start with the stuff you have and do some tests.
June 16, 2016 07:49AM
Yes I am using Raspberry Pi 3 with Piratebox!

Raspberry Pi Camera
Aoz
July 03, 2016 06:05PM
I am using Raspberry Pi 3 with Piratebox and would like to load Kiwix on, does some one any experience with it?
August 02, 2016 11:48PM
I dont know for sure, but this should work with rpi
[github.com]