Pi Zero Piratebox won't let me ssh login on initial run

Posted by stubkan 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Pi Zero Piratebox won't let me ssh login on initial run
June 26, 2017 12:08PM
Hi,

I've tried this with the latest image for the zero variety of pi. After failing to login in ssh, I tried to re-image the 32gb sdhc, and it still does the same thing.

The AP shows up after a short time connecting the usb power. I'm using a D-Link DWA-160 dongle, seems to work well. I connect to the AP, and open putty, ssh alarm@192.168.77.1 nets me a password prompt. alarm does not work. Access Denied.

The piratebox software works great, but I can't do much without ssh access - I can't set up the message boards for one.

Also, I am just pulling the usb power out to shutdown the pi. I don't see any other way to do this, I hope this is OK.

Thank you in advance!
Re: Pi Zero Piratebox won't let me ssh login on initial run
June 27, 2017 08:17AM
Hi,
technically, this is correct. Can you verify in putty, if the username is not preselected in the options?
Usually you enter only the IP and are being asked during SSH login for the username

best regards Matthias
June 27, 2017 09:52AM
Ok, your message prompted me to look more closely at PuTTy...

I type in "ssh alarm@192.168.77.1" and I noticed it said in the terminal window that it's logging in with username "ssh alarm"

the instructions say a "ssh" is needed, but perhaps this could be changed!

Also,
It's ok to just pull the usb power to shut the pi down? this won't have any negative consequences?

Thank you!
June 27, 2017 02:30PM
Hi,
if you see no disk activity on the USB stick or on the SDCard (LED blinking indicates), you can power it off. The OS is adjusted to write sync points every 5 minutes, so you might loose data up to 5 minutes during power off.

Technically, yes a shutdown will be much cleaner and safer, but unfortunately the one-chip computers do not have a button for that sad smiley

best regards
Matthias
stubkan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok, your message prompted me to look more closely
> at PuTTy...
>
> I type in "ssh alarm@192.168.77.1" and I noticed
> it said in the terminal window that it's logging
> in with username "ssh alarm"
>
> the instructions say a "ssh" is needed, but
> perhaps this could be changed!

Yeah, if you are using PuTTY then all you need to type is "alarm@192.168.77.1" in the box for hostname. You'd only use 'ssh' if you were in a terminal on a linux computer.

But you are right, this type of thing should be clarified in the installed instructions as many people are still on a learning curve.
August 29, 2017 02:17PM
Thanks, now I understood the issue. I added a "note" in the installation instructions.