struggling to find where to change details

Posted by stubkan 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
struggling to find where to change details
June 30, 2017 09:46AM
Hi,

I've been customizing the piratebox all day, but some quirks of it irk me.

For instance, I want to remove most instances of "piratebox" because those words carry a negative connonation and I don't want people to be scared off from using it.

I've renamed the website pages successfully, the board as well. Switched the logo png's around.

Two places, I can't quite get to. The chatbox's initial "0:0:0: PirateBox:" message won't get changed. I've edited it in the chat .txt file in /conf/ and set the chat log to persist in piratebox.conf - so whatever is typed stays forever, and then edited the html file in content that contains the actual chat log to take away the PirateBox line, and it changes ... yet each time I reboot it is back! Where is it coming from?!

Secondly, the domain - I can't figure out how to change it, I've found many instances in various conf files, and I switch them to my own place.lan and I've managed that my place.lan will redirect to 192.168.77.1 somehow, but it will automatically go straight back to piratebox.lan.

Is it in the locale files somewhere? I went through those carefully, but maybe I missed it...
Re: struggling to find where to change details
June 30, 2017 10:35AM
Hi,

I am assuming you are using the latest version 1.1.3 , correct?

Two places, I can't quite get to. The chatbox's initial "0:0:0: PirateBox:" message won't get changed. I've edited it in the chat .txt file in /conf/ and set the chat log to persist in piratebox.conf - so whatever is typed stays forever, and then edited the html file in content that contains the actual chat log to take away the PirateBox line, and it changes ... yet each time I reboot it is back! Where is it coming from?!
The /opt/piratebox/conf/chat_init.txt is the correct place to be changed. If you set it "RESET_CHAT" to yes, the reboot should put the content of "chat_init.txt" into /opt/piratebox/www/cgi-bin/data.pso
Then the shoutbox html file is regenerated based on data.pso. So you might want to remove the line in data.pso after changing RESET_CHAT to no.

Secondly, the domain - I can't figure out how to change it, I've found many instances in various conf files, and I switch them to my own place.lan and I've managed that my place.lan will redirect to 192.168.77.1 somehow, but it will automatically go straight back to piratebox.lan.
Check out /opt/piratebox/www/redirect.html and /opt/piratebox/www/index.html . The index.html should be a symlink to redirect.html, but for some reason it suddenly became a file for itself during deployment. (I removed redirect.html, changed everthing to index.html only on pending hotfix 1.1.4).

Beside this, there is a script for changing the hostname... but this is affected by the named above bug as well :-(

In the locales, you will only find text.
Remember to edit src/HEADER.TXT and src/README.txt to your purposes, these are the source files for the directory listing and are being copied over to each new folder during restart.

Hope that helps,
best regards
Matthias
July 01, 2017 01:11AM
OK, thank you!!

It all works to perfection now.

I didn't edit the HEADER and README texts, because the files you mentioned don't appear anywhere. The only text that does appear in every page seem to be the ones in /locale/ the language translation ones...

Although they do appear briefly, for a split second every refresh before getting pasted over with the locale text.

I'll edit them just in case anyway.

And one final request, how can I bypass the redirect to add a new linked page? Ie, I tried to make About go to /about/ where I placed a new index.html where I could fill in some more stuff, but any link I attempt just redirects to the homepage....
July 01, 2017 06:46AM
Hi,
I am glad it worked out.

And one final request, how can I bypass the redirect to add a new linked page? Ie, I tried to make About go to /about/ where I placed a new index.html where I could fill in some more stuff, but any link I attempt just redirects to the homepage....
The redirect is a 404 redirect. So probably you made a mistake somewhere. It is totally possible to create/add custom content, but you need to take care about correct URLs

best regards Matthias