Raspberry PI Pirate Box

Posted by jewfromdahood 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Raspberry PI Pirate Box
April 26, 2012 11:52AM
I want to make two different kinds of pirateboxes for myself.
The first one I make will be portable and battery powered if at all possible. So i presume y'all have heard of the Raspberry Pi, if not google it! I want to make a pirate box using a raspberry Pi, a DD-WRT/OpenWRT router wireless N router or USB network drive (with both 2.4 and 5GHz if possible), and a big old battery pack (preferably Li-ion or NiMH so I can make it rechargeable but would like to switch between using a power outlet or battery). All connected via 1 or more external hard drive with at least 750GB with a 2.5" hard drive, 3.5" with more space if I can fit it. So I am wondering if I want to cram it all inside a lunch tin, or other enclosure. So I need to know what router battery pack combination would be best to power and run all that inside a custom tin? I am thinking of putting the US Libertarian and Pirate Party logos on my tin. I am planning on using Arch Linux for this one as Xubuntu and Linux Mint haven't been ported to Raspberry Pi. And since the Raspberry has HDMI and is capable of 1080p I'll see if I can turn it into a portable media server basically. So when I go to friends houses they can plug it directly in a TV and watch movies, or they can stream it via Xbox and such. Now my question is how would I get it to run on an ARM CPU with the Raspberry.

the second one will basically be a tiny PC, already have a chassis and such picked out, will use Ubuntu or Arch. I like arch with it's rolling release, but takes time to set up. It will be outlet powered 2 3.5" hard drives, and wireless N card. It'll be a heavy hitting multi-tasking Piratebox. This will be the second one I eventually build.

Can anyone think of ways to make these boxes I want to build better?

Both of them I want fast network speeds, and lots of hard drive space expandability, whether it may be from a flash drive, or external hard drive. Because I know my buddies will hop on and start sharing their files too.
Re: Raspberry PI Pirate Box
April 26, 2012 02:05PM
Hi,
I can only answer it in a common way:

1.) Their will be a Raspberry-Image in the future (I pre-ordered one and I'll create with TerrorByte an installable debian image).
2.) PC performs better if you have high traffic .. but needs more power.
April 26, 2012 03:03PM
I have one ordered too tongue sticking out smiley this was actually my original idea for PirateBox. I see it as a good alternative to PogoPlug computers because they are so cheap.
April 26, 2012 08:13PM
I preordered one as well hope to join Matthias and Terrorbyte to port piratebox on it or to develop something specific the hardware of the board could lead to something stronger/faster for webserver and misc scripting... to be continued.
April 27, 2012 12:53PM

Dear customer,

Having successfully passed its CE compliance testing, we can now confirm that your Raspberry Pi will be delivered by the end of June. You will receive a confirmation email prior to your Raspberry Pi being shipped.

end of June

! sad smiley angry smiley
April 27, 2012 03:10PM
When did you order?!?!
April 27, 2012 05:35PM
I could pre-order at 02.04.
April 27, 2012 10:21PM
I preordered on 3/3 still no news for me, it was really hard as servers were overloaded smiling smiley can't wait to get one !!!
Tom
August 08, 2012 03:54AM
Just got my RPi, so much nicer for deving pirateboxes than cramming things in a router. Lots and lots of room and the debian install is nice and rich. I am playing with using a good usb wifi dongle to work as the radio thus doing away with the need for a router box.

Some of the things you can add...

-Streaming netcast/shoutcast server....put the link on the captive portal page...queue it up with whatever propaganda/music/spoken word/experimental sounds. Same for moving images, a nice little vlc instance serving up a playlist of good stuff...

-If you added a second wifi device you could have your pirate box latch on to an existing wifi network and proxy traffic from the piratebox wifi device to it. Alternatively you culd play with meshing, have pirate boxes sensing each other and sharing the wealth.

-Pirate Radio Station... Add a souped up FM transmitter to the audio out and advertise the frequency on the captive portal page. You can either have a precanned playlist or let the users pick/upload &pick. Would be great for gatherings, actions and protests. Make a few of them, mesh/synch playlists or simply repeater them.

Oh the possibilities.....now off to work.

August 28, 2012 09:58AM
Any word on the Piratebox RasPi Debian-image ?
August 28, 2012 07:07PM
Is it possible? Yes
Can I test it? Yes.
Do I have SD Cards and Wifi-USB devices? Yes
Do I have time? no.

sad smiley
September 11, 2012 02:23PM
If you need help testing I'm buying a pi to make a network with ...
September 12, 2012 03:30PM
I just bought two and they're sitting here doing nothing. I'd love to dedicate one to testing.
smiling smileyRe: Raspberry PI Pirate Box
February 22, 2013 08:54PM
were i can order one
Re: smiling smileyRe: Raspberry PI Pirate Box
February 22, 2013 10:39PM
what do you want to order? A RaspberryPI?
I think some are offered in amazon ,,, and the install howto with custom image is done too

[piratebox.aod-rpg.de];