PirateBox release 1.1.2

Posted by Matthias 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
PirateBox release 1.1.2
October 05, 2016 06:39PM
Hello PirateBox-fellowers,

I am releasing that quick-fix release 1.1.2 . There was a test miss in upgrading from a 1.1.x to a 1.1.y release.

The changelog reads out

* [Fix] Upgrade 1.1.x - 1.1.x does not create content symlink

You can find the complete latest changelog on [piratebox.cc]

Community, without out you, it would be much harder to get the project forward!

OpenWrt
As usually the upgrade instructions on [piratebox.cc] apply for this release also. Remember, that all changes in /opt/piratebox and OpenWrt changes will be overwritten.
This release contains fixes for the UI. In case you did not have a custom UI, you should consider to remove the folder "content" (in Piratebox) on your USB stick.

Technically, you can also do a "quick update", but only from 1.1.x:
* Download piratebox_ws_1.1_img.tar.gz
* Power off the PirateBox
* Take the USB stick to your computer
* Place piratebox_ws_1.1_img.tar.gz inside your install folder.
* Savely remove the USB stick and put it back to your PirateBox
* Power the PirateBox online
* Login via SSH to your PirateBox
* run the following commands:
  /etc/init.d/minidlna stop
  /etc/init.d/piratebox stop
  /etc/init.d/piratebox updatePB  
  /etc/init.d/piratebox start
  /etc/init.d/minidlna start

RaspberryPI
The recommended way for RPi is currently a complete reflash, like described in the RaspberryPi tutorial.
As a reflash is like a normal fresh installation, RPi is not affected by this bugfix and no new image is created. The 1.1.1-1 image is still ok.

RaspberryPi 1 A, B & Zero
Language: PHP
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:e99c008f0496301cda76b267cd6a16915d389ec3&dn=piratebox_rpi_1.1.1-1-03-10-2016.img.zip&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.piratebox.cc%3A7070&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969

RaspberryPi 2 & 3
Language: PHP
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:0df637b67d7daaafafe5437435650580124d08c7&dn=piratebox_rpi2_1.1.1-1-03-10-2016.img.zip&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.piratebox.cc%3A7070&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969

Torrent files
If you encounter issues with the magnet links, please try to use the torrent files instead:
piratebox_rpi_1.1.1-1-03-10-2016.img.zip.torrent
piratebox_rpi2_1.1.1-1-03-10-2016.img.zip.torrent

best regards
Matthias

Upgrading in general has a bug when upgrading from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1
You will endup in a redirect loop in the browser.

To fix that you can do two things:
a) Power your PirateBox off and remove the folder "content" in the PirateBox directory. After that any custom modifications are gone and you get the new version of the UI. (prefered winking smiley
b) run the following command to link to your customized version of the content folder
 ln -s /opt/piratebox/share/content /opt/piratebox/www
I am sorry for that.

This is only my signature.
Re: PirateBox release 1.1.2
October 05, 2016 06:43PM
I posted in the 1.1.1 thread at the same time it got locked, so I'm reposting here.

I got the redirect error when I tried to quickupdate last night. I reformatted the USB stick, so what method do I need to follow to reinstall now? I still have SSH access, but I don't know how to get the install to unpack. Do I use the failsafe? Or can I start the install from the terminal?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2016 06:43PM by Dracc.
October 05, 2016 06:46PM
I saw your post, moved it into the Openwrt Forum, renamed and answered it already

here you go.
[forum.piratebox.cc]

best regards
Matthias
October 05, 2016 06:48PM
Ah, perfect. Thanks!
October 06, 2016 05:34AM
Matthias you asked "What do you want to do with meshing zeros?"

To be honest Idk exactly. Maybe through them roof tops with some solar power around the city to cover a wider area? haha, jk, cool idea but im afraid of the abuse that might happen with them here is the U.S.; One of the ways I sell people on the piratebox is by first showing them the simplistic genius of it, then by engaging in real world usages of it. One of the uses I explain is that in the future, when "Sh!t hits the fan". And we lose communication routes such as the internet due to whatever reason. The PB has the ability to connect to other PBs within range and form a new "web" so to speak. This ability (when developed) really speaks to people due to the ever so popular thought here among U.S. citizens that "doomsday" type scenarios is going to happen within our life time.
Other than that the ability to be able to connect to other PBs regardless of platform would just be a cool and neat feature to have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2016 08:47AM by damavox.
October 06, 2016 06:07AM
Everything seems to be working great. I believe i speak on behalf of all of the community when i say Thank You for your hard work and dedication Matthias!
October 09, 2016 10:05AM
Hey Damavox,
sorry for my long response time on your post.

I understand your idea, but I am not sure if PirateBox itself does fit into that scale. PirateBox was built to be an off-the-grid tool and not one for building a new grid smiling smiley
The mesh feature is pretty difficult to explain to normal people, because it is not easy to transport what is possible and was not. I don't know if you know the article I wrote one or two years ago: Mesh introduction.

I hope that gives you an idea what is possible and what not.

I am also a fan of cjdns, but it comes with its own issues (like no broadcasting). That will overcome the problem with non equal kernel versions for batman-advanced... but has no broadcasting, which makes the creation of a list difficult (json interface possible)... and there are other issues to be solved... and it consumes *some* CPU time.

Anyway.. We should start a second topic, because this discussion won't fit into a release thread winking smiley

Thanks for the nice words,
best regards
Matthias
October 20, 2016 09:45AM
good day i wanted to download the latest version to my openwrt router noticed it was still 1.1.1 from this link
stable.openwrt.piratebox.de/all/packages
and the name of the router is cisco linksys ea4500. dont even know it worth.it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2016 09:52AM by junnot.
October 21, 2016 05:12AM
Hi,
thanks for reviewing the package-versions smiling smiley
According to the Changelog, we do not have changes on the OpenWrt infrastructure, but on the scripts inside /opt/piratebox, which is not reflected on the package version number (that scripts are pulled of an external image file).

We do not support linksys ea4500 for auto installation.

best regards
Matthias
October 24, 2016 05:44PM
Hi Matthias,

I still have the same "div upload" problem I wrote about in this post: div upload
You wrote it will be corrected in the 1.1 version. But it still doesn't work. So, is the problem coming from my config or you simply didn't have time to implement it?

Thanks a lot!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2016 05:44PM by meaz.
October 24, 2016 06:14PM
Hi,
Did you remove your content folder from the USB stick during upgrade?
This is needed to bring the new UI in place.

You can still do this now and during a reboot a new copy of the folder is placed.

best regards
Matthias
October 28, 2016 08:23PM
Hi Matthias,

that fixed the problem...

I just have a comment. On this new version, a css folder is created in content. I think in
piratebox/src/forest.py
Line 71
CSS_PATH = '/forest.css'
should be changed so that the forest.css file would be copy to this css folder instead of the webroot.
and so
 piratebox/bin/install_piratebox.sh
Line 49 and 53
cp -v $PIRATEBOX_FOLDER/src/forest.css $WWW_FOLDER/
chown $LIGHTTPD_USER:$LIGHTTPD_GROUP $WWW_FOLDER/forest.css
should aso be changed as
cp -v $PIRATEBOX_FOLDER/src/forest.css $WWW_FOLDER/content/css
chown $LIGHTTPD_USER:$LIGHTTPD_GROUP $WWW_FOLDER/content/css/forest.css

I tried to see if those suggestions work, but I get
chown: /opt/piratebox/www/content/css/forest.css: Operation not permitted
October 30, 2016 01:09PM
Basically it cleans up the folders, right?
I also changed the datapath to the share folder, that the posts are not lost during an upgrade:

Language: Diff
diff --git a/piratebox/piratebox/bin/install_piratebox.sh b/piratebox/piratebox/bin/install_piratebox.sh index df13f26..3ffbb6c 100755 --- a/piratebox/piratebox/bin/install_piratebox.sh +++ b/piratebox/piratebox/bin/install_piratebox.sh @@ -46,11 +46,11 @@ PIRATEBOX_CONFIG=$1   if [ $2 = ';pyForum'; ] ; then cp -v $PIRATEBOX_FOLDER/src/forest.py $WWW_FOLDER/cgi-bin - cp -v $PIRATEBOX_FOLDER/src/forest.css $WWW_FOLDER/ + cp -v $PIRATEBOX_FOLDER/src/forest.css $WWW_FOLDER/content/css mkdir -p $PIRATEBOX_FOLDER/forumspace - chmod a+rw -R $PIRATEBOX_FOLDER/forumspace + chmod a+rw -R $PIRATEBOX_FOLDER/forumspace 2> /dev/null chown $LIGHTTPD_USER:$LIGHTTPD_GROUP $WWW_FOLDER/cgi-bin/forest.py - chown $LIGHTTPD_USER:$LIGHTTPD_GROUP $WWW_FOLDER/forest.css + chown $LIGHTTPD_USER:$LIGHTTPD_GROUP $WWW_FOLDER/content/forest.cssi 2> /dev/null echo "Copied the files. Recheck your PirateBox now. " fi   diff --git a/piratebox/piratebox/src/forest.py b/piratebox/piratebox/src/forest.py index e91db3c..d2c23bf 100755 --- a/piratebox/piratebox/src/forest.py +++ b/piratebox/piratebox/src/forest.py @@ -64,11 +64,11 @@ import time # ============================================================================   # Where the threads are stored. This folder must exist. -DATA_PATH = ';/opt/piratebox/forumspace/'; +DATA_PATH = ';/opt/piratebox/share/forumspace/'; #Where the forest CGI is located (as a URL). CGI_URL=';/cgi-bin/forest.py'; # Where the main stylesheet is kept (as a URL). -CSS_PATH = ';/forest.css'; +CSS_PATH = ';/content/css/forest.css'; # What is the title of the board? BOARD_TITLE = ';PirateBox Board'; # Simple Description of the board, appears at the top of each page

Is that ok? If yes, I'll push that fix

Matthias
November 09, 2016 04:07PM
Hi Mathias,

sorry I was so long to answer... It sounds perfect to me!!!!!

Best
November 09, 2016 05:01PM
Ok, I applied the fix to the hotfix-1.1.3 branch
November 28, 2016 11:03AM
Hi all,

There is no more source available on the torrent link for pi2, can someone share it again, thx.

Jeff
November 28, 2016 11:46AM
Hi Jeff,
please verify your torrent client. I can see 18 seeds

And one peer unable to connect,,,

best regards
Matthias
November 28, 2016 12:31PM
Hi Matthias,

Thx for your answer and time on this project,

Do you confirm the link up is ok? I can read in the file name it's the 1.1.1-1 version and this thread is 1.1.2.
November 28, 2016 12:48PM
Hi,
thanks.

Yes, the 1.1.1 filename is ok. 1.1.2 is the most recent, but it only includes an upgrade fix which did not apply on the RPis.

The magnet links looks valid.

best regards
Matthias
November 28, 2016 12:53PM
I have modified my firewall and it's ok. Thx again thumbs up
January 28, 2017 08:27PM
Sorry I haven't been around in a while. Have any package dependencies been added between 1.0.7 to 1.1.2? Running through setup on a new Zsun as I write this.

Edit:
Welp, looks like everything is working except minidlna. Seems "openwrt.example.minidlna" points to "/mnt/usb/PirateBox/Shared" instead of "/opt/piratebox/share/Shared"

Is this by design? I can update zsun wiki with some sed commands to to re-point the minidlna config to the proper path.

PirateBox Installs:
2x Zsun's (both testing, one with serial interface)
A5-V11 (mostly for OpenWRT testing DIY)
2x RPi Zero's
(one active in car 24/7, gets a lot of hits at Walmart, movie theaters and the mall)
2x RPi3's (both home servers, one Ubuntu custom install along side a ton of other services)
1x RPi2 (currently work server)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2017 09:27PM by TheExpertNoob.