Please share your PirateBox photos

Posted by darts 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Please share your PirateBox photos
March 28, 2011 01:23AM
Hey Everyone,

I was interviewed this week for a segment about the PirateBox that is going to air on German TV and the producer has requested some photos of folks with their PirateBoxes. Would LOVE if folks could share some pics or links to photos ASAP.

Thanks!
David
--

Btw, I noticed on Twitter that the PirateBox was featured at a Bookcamp in Spain this weekend...

[kosmopolis2011.pbworks.com]
[twitpic.com]
[www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 03:08AM by darts.
Re: Please share your PirateBox photos
March 28, 2011 04:36AM
Hi David,
I'm going to make some of my little eeePC this afternoon.

Can you tell me which channel/TV-show it was? I want to record the show smiling smiley

Matthias,
who lives in germany
March 28, 2011 01:45PM
Awesome, thanks Matthias!

The journalist's name is Matthias Röckl and he produces a segment called Bayer in Brooklyn (Bavarian in Brooklyn for those who don't speak German). He creates work for the French-German television station Arte and the Bavarian Broadcasting Company.

Among other things, he produces a videoblog for German Public Radio's on3-radio which is billed as "Germany's first multimedia channel for young people, combining radio, print and video online."

You can view some of the past segments on Vimeo. I especially like the Biofeedback piece.
March 28, 2011 06:39PM
Hi,
I sent you some pictures.. I hope you can use it.

"Arte" is a great channel for non-mainstream stuff.. I like it, but I'm not often watch this channel.
Never hear of on3-radio, I'll have a look.

I'm looking forward see some more article os PB... by the way: I discorvered, that the piratebox is mention in the c't 6/2011 - Trends 2011
They're writing about future of autonomous infrastructure i.e. dead drops and the piratebox. It isn't worth for non-german to buy this article, because this part is about 20 sentences

Matthias
Hey David,

I just sent you an e-mail with all of my photos, I hope you enjoy!
March 29, 2011 02:46AM
Matthias - thanks for the photos and also for telling me about the c't 6/2011 - Trends 2011 article. I've tried to track the online articles about the PirateBox and have created a list of links to stories on the wiki.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2011 02:47AM by darts.
March 29, 2011 02:47AM
Justin, thanks much for the photos - great to see the box in action and I like the extension cord mod you added to the side of the box.
March 30, 2011 02:59AM
Just took a few more and wanted to let you know that you have full permission to use these as you see fit.

|YEA!|
March 30, 2011 03:44AM
built mine in to my old climbing bag. somewhat low profile.
[a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net]
March 30, 2011 08:11PM
[forum.daviddarts.com]

Cheers,

Socrates
March 31, 2011 04:56AM
The article on on3-radio is online:
[on3.de]
March 31, 2011 01:42PM
Thanks for posting the link Matthias. Here's a direct link to the segment in HD on Vimeo.

Apparently a longer radio version will be airing as well.
Nice Video
March 31, 2011 02:41PM
Awesome story, it was a very nice segment! Also loved to see my pics up there ^_^
April 07, 2011 08:25PM
Here are some photos of the (finally) mobile PirateBox. I've velcroed velcrod used velcro to attach the components to the lunch box, and thankfully there is enough room left over to include the AC adapter for the battery as well. In true PirateBox fashion I release these images for all to enjoy in whatever fashion they see fit.

http://img199.imageshack.us/i/dsc5340r.jpg/
http://img824.imageshack.us/i/dsc5342a.jpg/
http://img29.imageshack.us/i/dsc5343f.jpg/
http://img593.imageshack.us/i/dsc5351.jpg/
Took the antenna from a wap54g and soldered them onto the asus this thing is small

The piratebox out transmits my cradlepoint router.

Then drilled holes for the connections and screwed them down, had to wiggle them a few times to get them tight.

Dockstar Board

Located a black Ethernet cable i made a while back, going to make a shorter one at some point. Added a 500gb segate drive that I wasn't using anymore and velcroed everything down.

Had to use the original instruction as the tar images never booted the network right and was unable to get an ip address assigned.

Next part is finding a extension cable for the battery charger that can fix to the wall of the box so i can leave it closed and still charge it. I did find that it's better to plug the router into the battery when you don't have a static IP set, this allows the dockstar to get an address right when it starts.
March 02, 2012 04:52PM
You can check pics of the first piratebox from Lille (France) here : www.piratebox.c.la
March 05, 2012 05:39AM
Very Nice!!!
March 05, 2012 07:19AM
Thank you smiling smiley smiling smiley
My PirateBox is powered by a rechargeable Sony USB battery pack, sports a 16gb HP flash drive and is housed in watertight Pelican Case. Just in case I need to share files on like a canoe or something.
March 31, 2012 06:26PM
Nice ^^
How many mAh for this battery ?
April 02, 2012 12:15PM
The one for Antwerp, Belgium:

This Piratebox runs v0.3.2 with shoutbox and the USB is 8GB stick from a brand I forgot.
At the moment I have no batterypack, but since the box is very close to the window it reaches the whole area I wanted to cover (along with an Apple airport express to enhance the reach of the network)

---
"I don't remember the truth!" | Alice ~ Resident Evil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 12:23PM by strimbello.
April 02, 2012 09:11PM
UPDATE: 4/5/2012 -updated photo #3
I built this over the weekend. Configuring the device was simple until the last part, but I was able to get it up and running.

Inside of Piratebox:
    [*] Tp-Link -Portable 3G Wireless Nrouter
    [*] 8-AA Batteries
    [*] 5v Regulator
    [*] RJ45 in-line coupler
    [*] On/Off Switch
    [*] Green LED 12v

With Cover

UPDATE 4/6/12: I modified the enclosure to support an on/off switch and an Ethernet port, and Green LED on/off Indicator
NOTE: The Ethernet allows me to program the device without removing it from the enclosure.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2012 03:49PM by pabell.
April 04, 2012 04:08PM
I baught a powerbank 7000mah and a 8GB usb stick it done that

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2012 04:11PM by tutur9212.
April 05, 2012 01:32PM
Hi Everyone,

Thought you might appreciate this random cross-section of PirateBox photos from around the world.
April 06, 2012 05:44PM
My 3020 build. Recently took a solar panel off of it. Powered by AA rechargeables or USB. 16 gb storage {usb} (as of now). This is one of the smallest boxes I have found. and there is no wasted space.
I plan to put an external ethernet port. The biggest issue was making the mini usb cable. Currently one of the screws is stripped on the box so i cant open it and show the cable I made, but is pretty simple.

All I need is a sticker now!

April 06, 2012 05:54PM
Ando, we have a similar design great job. My pictures are above. Tonight I plan to add an LED to my enclosure tonight.
Instead of Usb I have external Ethernet. Your design is much nicer though thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2012 05:55PM by pabell.
April 06, 2012 06:01PM
What the battery life with 8 AA?
April 06, 2012 06:29PM
Ando,
I installed AA on 4/4/12 and checked this morning so its safe to say they will last more than 3 Days. There is no traffic on the device, but I think that would significantly lower the battery live. I will report in the battery thread when they die.
April 08, 2012 04:53PM
A few more pics...

Small peek at some wiring...

The modded cable

The modded cable plugged in

In this pic you can see the repair I needed to make for the stripped screw. It wont show when its all together. I added some foam to stop the bit of rattle. I am happy that the 3020 is unmodded, so I can just pop it out if needed.

I painted the top! Still need a sticker

The holes in the top were for a solar panel, but now are for a volt meter that is in the mail..