Pi(rate) box on Pi2B

Posted by inextremis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Re: Pi(rate) box on Pi2B
July 14, 2015 09:56AM
Hey Benji,

The RPI2 image that was uploaded works when you image it to a micro sdcard.
As long as you have a compatible wifi adapter you should have no problems.

Have you tried to reboot the piratebox and connect to the new AP?
Or did you follow the instructions and do a manual install, if so then do you see the AP?

I may be a little slow to respond as im currently travelling, but i do have piratebox working on RPI2 and wheezy.
July 14, 2015 07:38PM
Great! its encouraging to know that it does work. I have imaged it to a microsd and put it in. i also have a generic WiFi adapter that uses the Ralink RT5370 chipset which is on the list. i also put a small usb drive in fat32 format on it. Do i just Image the chip and run the pi or do i need to do stuff? i have tried using the image but i always ssh'd to it or plugged it into a screen. can i just image it and run? surely id have to at least log in right? I have done the manual install and used the image, both from you. Except i don't know what an AP is. Access point perhaps? If that is what you're asking yes i have rebooted several times and tried the manual install to no avail. I have tried both methods many times. My question is this: when using the image do i simply plug it all in and let it run or must i log in to the PI? is there not some sort of start command that needs to be given? same goes for the manual install. do i just reboot and it works? because i am yet to see the access point. i have given it warm up times and tried different devices to connect. i need to know what to do after i set up the image.
July 14, 2015 09:50PM
The Main problem is that i don't see the access point. i have done everything i can think of but i really dont understand this to well. i flashed the image file again and ran it with the wifi adapter and an etho plug and then i ssh'd in to expand filesystem, etc. then i rebooted. Should it just start on its own?
July 15, 2015 01:44AM
Ok, if you use the image then all you have to do is start the raspberry pi and it will work. You will see the access point and should be able to connect to it.

Can you tell me what image you used?
July 15, 2015 02:04AM
Hm, just plug it and go?
yeah, i used the one you posted on this forum. downloaded it with a bit torrent. is that the right one?
July 15, 2015 02:13AM
I am pretty sure I've tried that already, i'm trying it again now, doesn't seem to be working but i'm giving it time to warm up. Just power and wifi dongle and chip.
July 15, 2015 02:21AM
Yep, not seeing anything, its just sitting there, is it all set up to run right after being flashed?
July 15, 2015 02:25AM
Ok then once you have imaged this to the microsdcard, the pi should boot up.
If it does not then i would suggest looking at your how you have imaged the software, ensure that the image has been placed on the card correctly.

Make sure you only have the wifi adapter installed along with your external power connector.

If the pi has booted up but you still cannot see the piratebox access point then ssh into the piratebox.
Is is more than likely that the Access Point function on your wifi card is not initiating.

Make sure your wifi card is found and that the correct drivers are installed for it.
There are lots of resources to troubleshoot wifi card problems, i would send you links and try to help more, but my internet access is pretty limited right now as I am in the Laos jungle :-S
July 15, 2015 02:39AM
Yes if it has been flashed correctly, it is set to run upon startup.
If you cannot ssh into the box then it sounds like there is a problem with how you have flashed the image.

Are you using windows or mac to flash the image?

The first part of your diagnosis should be to get the image flashed to the card and ensure the pi2 is up and running.
After that we can diagnose any connection issues.
July 15, 2015 02:41AM
Everything is imaged and all the proper things are installed. the pi boots up and it runs through its stuff and it gets to the login. however in the scrolling texts i see things that say dhcpcd failed or not configure because of the network config file or something like that. what is dhcpcd? My wifi adapter is on the list. if it is a setup problem with the adapter how do i fix it?
July 15, 2015 02:46AM
I am using windows with win32diskimager. i understand how to do this. it has been flashed and it runs. I can only ssh if it is plugged into ethernet.
July 15, 2015 02:55AM
okay, now i am certain, it is in fact an issue of the wireless connection. i attempted to connect a separate
raspbian install and i cant get stuff to connect.
July 15, 2015 03:23AM
correction: i made the wifi adapter work on a clean raspbian install.
July 15, 2015 03:37AM
I think the problem is that your wifi adapter card isn't going into AP mode, access point mode. When the card goes into AP mode it acts as a wifi hotspot. What seems to be happenig is that your card isnt going into AP mode and therefore the dhcp service wont initiate. The dhcp service provides ip addresses to clients that attach to the AP.

You will need to look at what drivers are being used by the card.
certain drivers will allow the card to work and connect as it should normally, but you may need alternative drivers to run the card as an access point.
July 15, 2015 04:14AM
yeah that all makes sense, where would i find such drivers?
July 15, 2015 04:38AM
As ive not used this wifi card i dont really know where to get them. I would do a search for your card name plus raspberry pi and ap mode.

You will find details on the raspberry pi forums, especially if the card supports AP mode.

Im pretty confident that once you get this fixed it will work correctly.
July 15, 2015 04:56AM
I have confirmed that it does indeed support AP mode but i wouldn't know how to turn it on within the command line of raspbian. seeing as you put this image together i was hoping you would have known how to activate this mode.
July 15, 2015 05:40AM
I put the image together with standard and common wifi drivers, i think there is a piratebox forum thread about certain wifi cards and how to activate them.

Its difficult for me to be able to support further as im not at home and dont have my rpi in front of me. I will return home in around a week, the I can try to replicate the issue.
August 01, 2015 01:55PM
hey
i tried to install it to my raspi2 running raspbian (debian wheezy basically).
it works.
i upload two files to my server; you may mirror them.

maximilian-kolb.de/piratebox/how-to
maximilian-kolb.de/piratebox/bash-output

regards,
maximilian
August 02, 2015 09:40AM
Hi Max,
do you like to contribute to the piratebox.cc page and update the manual instructions for the RPi installation? It would be great smiling smiley
PM me, if you like

best regards
Matthias
August 22, 2015 08:46AM
Hi @maximilian ,
I did folow your bash-output and I keep getting this error when try to start piratebox.
I hawe Pi2 and tp-link tl-wn722n

Language: HTML
root@raspberrypi:/opt/piratebox# sudo /etc/init.d/piratebox start Starting initialize PirateBox Part2.. Distribute HEADER.txt into /opt/piratebox/share/Shared Distribute README.txt into /opt/piratebox/share/Shared [....] Starting script piratebox : Generating hosts file .... Generating dnsmasq.conf ..... Generating Environment-config for lighttpd ..... Empty tmp folder rm: cannot remove `/opt/piratebox/tmp/';: Is a directory Copy over design files [....] Starting hostap... :start-stop-daemon: unable to stat /usr/sbin/hostapd (No such fil e or directory) failed! [....] Setting up wlan:Bringing up wifi interface wlan0 Setting up wlan0 [....] Starting dnsmasq... :start-stop-daemon: unable to stat /usr/sbin/dnsmasq (No such fi le or directory) failed! [....] Starting droopy...:/etc/init.d/piratebox: 149: /etc/init.d/piratebox: 8080: not foun d failed! Generated HTML-Shoutbox File. [....] Starting lighttpd...:2015-08-22 08:36:06: (network.c.405) can';t bind to port: 80 Ad dress already in use (warning).
August 22, 2015 09:57AM
hey @munge
can you check you wifi-setup?
i just checked my output, after root@raspi-piratebox:/opt/piratebox# /etc/init.d/piratebox start, i also get the rm ... error, but my raspi just continued.

i'm really not a big tech guy, i'd just advise you to restart again.
let me know how it works out.

root@raspi-piratebox:/opt/piratebox# /etc/init.d/piratebox start
Starting initialize PirateBox Part2..
Distribute HEADER.txt into /opt/piratebox/share/Shared
Distribute README.txt into /opt/piratebox/share/Shared
[....] Starting script piratebox :
Generating hosts file ....
Generating dnsmasq.conf .....
Generating Environment-config for lighttpd .....
Empty tmp folder
rm: cannot remove `/opt/piratebox/tmp/': Is a directory
Copy over design files
[ ok ] Starting hostap... :.
[....] Setting up wlan:Bringing up wifi interface wlan0
Setting up wlan0
[ ok ] Starting dnsmasq... :.
[ ok ] Starting droopy...:.
Generated HTML-Shoutbox File.
[ ok ] Starting lighttpd...:.
root@raspi-piratebox:/opt/piratebox# /opt/piratebox/bin/install_piratebox.sh /opt/piratebox/conf [this is already the next step]
August 22, 2015 04:13PM
After I reinstalled lighttpd, hostap and dnsmasq a couple of times they started to work.
Now I'm getting only error for the droopy
I see the wifi network and the network does not give me the IP address when I try to connect to it.

Now I'm getting only error for the droopy

Language: HTML
root@raspberrypi:~# sudo /etc/init.d/piratebox start [....] Starting script piratebox : Generating hosts file .... Generating dnsmasq.conf ..... Generating Environment-config for lighttpd ..... Empty tmp folder rm: cannot remove `/opt/piratebox/tmp/';: Is a directory Copy over design files [ ok ] Starting hostap... :. [....] Setting up wlan:Bringing up wifi interface wlan0 Setting up wlan0 [ ok ] Starting dnsmasq... :. [....] Starting droopy...:/etc/init.d/piratebox: 149: /etc/init.d/piratebox: 8080: not found failed! Generated HTML-Shoutbox File. [ ok ] Starting lighttpd...:. root@raspberrypi:~#

Can someone help , what seams to be the problem so that droopy does not start ?
August 22, 2015 05:19PM
Ok now It started to work only by rebooting it.
But seams like port 8080 those not work.
And can't upload files to it.
August 22, 2015 09:07PM
I answered your question in the other post [forum.piratebox.cc]
My other question is, why does the shoutbox not work? Is this only a testing issue?
August 22, 2015 11:33PM
That was print screen after wifi disconect , buth the error of 8080 was before
August 23, 2015 07:48AM
Ok good, I was worried, there is an javascript bug as well.
October 15, 2015 03:53PM
If anyone wants to see the IMG I wil seed it once I get it all, and I have very good speed so it can help everyone else. Please all seed. Also, I can post a direct download link here as well.. I am happy to host this, just need the original RPI2 image. Otherwise I will just do a normal install; which I don't mind. I am a linux engineer; but others might appreciate the RPI2 image.

Either way,
Thanks for the help/work so far guys.
Matt
MattCurry.com
benji
December 13, 2015 01:26AM
What if the problem is the extra todos like in the tutorial?
my chip falls under that category. However, this is the raspi2 version.